Most institutions provide tuition rates on their website and information packets. However, many individuals who have received a bill for their first semester of college notice there is an itemized list of charges added to tuition. Some institutions have fees associated with different types of classes. For example, it is not uncommon for students enrolled in science courses to have lab fees. Students who are enrolled in courses held in classrooms with hi-tech equipment may have a technology fee. Colleges also charge students to use campus recreational facilities. Therefore, it is important to inquire about required and optional charges in addition to tuition. Below are some sample questions you can ask in an effort to reduce college fees.
- Do I have to purchase a meal plan?
- Am I required to pay for a phone and/or cable in my dorm room?
- Is there free campus transportation available to local stores and restaurants?
- Are there fee associated with online courses?
- What are the fees associated with the college health care center?
Feel free to think of more questions and include them in the comment section.